Search This Blog


Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The First Day of School - 2015

Today is the first day of school. The first day to start on a Tuesday EVER for our children, but it wouldn't matter what day they were starting - none of them were ready! Ha ha!  Zachary is a SENIOR! Jacob is a Sophomore. Tyler begins Middle School (Jr. High) as a 6th grader. Unbelievable to not have anyone in elementary! But, I'm still doing Elementary PTO, so I get my "elementary" fix :).
Of course I made Tyler take some pictures going into middle school. Don't want to miss that opportunity! He's the least fond of school of any of our children, but thankfully he seemed okay with it once he got there. I'm praying he has a great year and keeps up with his stuff!  This will be a challenge for him :), but he can do it. I know it!
The tallest in the family is excited to be in his final year of high school! As a special treat for his class, Zachary made cinnamon rolls for the first time. His grandmother helped him learn to make her mother's recipe for bread that's a family tradition, then a few days later she (and his uncle) showed him how to make them into the famous cinnamon rolls.  They're great!  I think his class will be excited about his baking skills!

Zachary is excited about their new FFA Broadcasting Studio at the school. Now, along with being able to stream football games and stock shows online, they will also be able to host interviews and various segments for a show!  Pretty exciting for a small town!
Jacob is probably more excited about next year's new school year than he is this one. That's because next year all of the Senior athletes will be gone and he'll get to play more! Ha!  That Senior class is super-talented, so they'll be greatly missed, but we're excited about the up-coming talent, as well. A new thing for Jacob: He got to DRIVE to school for the very first time!  That is pretty exciting! No more football taxi for mom!!!  Yay! (At least until Jacob graduates.)
And here's the BIG 6th grade middle schooler!  Tyler is pretty fortunate this year. He has a cousin-in-law, an aunt, and an uncle (that we know of so far) teaching and coaching him, plus several other new teachers that we are excited for him to have!  It will be interesting this year, but great.

Sixth grade is an odd year. It's in the middle school, but they play elementary sports/activities. It's kind of awkward, to me. I'm always excited when they get into the JH level of sports. It's just fun!

I'll post about our college girl next week, after she moves in.

And now for a traditional poem that I usually post the day before school starts, but waited until now.  I wrote this in 2010, but it always helps me to read it each year as the kids start to school.

'TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE SCHOOL STARTED

'Twas the night before school started and all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring not even a mouse (thankfully).

The backpacks were hung on the laundry room hooks,
They would soon be loaded down with papers and books.

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of homework danced in their heads.

And Dad in the bedroom had just begun snoring,
And I was still cooking and might be 'til morning.

When out of a bedroom I heard such a clatter,
I sprang down the hallway to see what was the matter.

Away to the bedroom I made a mad dash,
And opened the door, my toe I did smash.

The night light plugged in shone brightly in the night,
One of the children had yelled out in a fright.

When what to my wondering ears did I hear,
But children exclaiming, “It's finally here!”

With a kiss and a hug I calmed down their spirits,
And told them I loved them – they needed to hear it.

More rapid than TIGERS, the prayers for them came,
And I spoke to God softly and called them by name.

Be with Lauren and Zachary, Jacob and Tyler,
And guide them all safely - my prayers lifted higher.

To the kitchen I then wandered all calm and sincere,
That God would be with them throughout the school year.

I rushed through the cooking and baking with ease,
And got to bed early – I was certainly pleased.

But before my tired eyelids ever closed for the night,
I prayed for my children one more time – it seemed right.

In the morning they'll awaken, mixed emotions galore,
I'll miss them and think of them and pray for them more.

But I won't need to worry for my Father knows best,
That He is still with them when they're out of the nest.

Written by Lori Waugh
August 18, 2010

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Everybody's growing up...so weird, huh? They look great!

 
Pin It button on image hover