Search This Blog


Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Chronicles of Biscuit - I Thought You Would Say Hello

The Chronicles of Biscuit: Stories about our youngest son, Tyler, whose nickname is Biscuit.

Sunday morning began as every Sunday morning begins - with me waking up the boys, and me telling them what is "appropriate" to wear....according to the season, temperature, and just the general time of the month. It's always a bit confusing to me: Is it still 'no spring clothes until Easter' or is it spring clothes after the first day of Spring, or does anyone really care?  Does it really matter?  If you know, please tell me!  I almost don't care any more!

This Sunday I just decided on my own (my husband is out of town, but he would always let them wear whatever - regardless of the season! :) and told told the boys they could wear "spring" colors, but not the new shirts I had bought for them to wear at Easter, although we don't usually buy Easter clothes. It just happened to be a new shirt for spring.

I went to my own room and began to get ready.  I didn't see the boys again, actually! By the time I left my room, they were gone. I usually have the youngest, Biscuit, stop by my room for "approval", but this time I didn't.

After Bible class, Biscuit came to sit by me.  I noticed his sort-of-wrinkled, new bought-for-Easter shirt!  I said, "Biscuit! Your shirt isn't ironed, and I told you not to wear that shirt today!"  Biscuit sort of slumped and said, "Mom, I thought you would just say "hello", not tell me what was wrong with my shirt!"  OUCH!  That stung!  Biscuit's words pricked my heart!  He has always had a way of doing that - even from a young age.

I hugged Biscuit and told him "hello" :), and I told him I was glad that he was sitting there by me. I explained the shirt problem - that I had said not to wear it. He said he didn't hear me, which is a common problem with the littlest.  That's why he always has to come by and get "checked"....something I should have had him do and will from now on.

Now, before you wonder about the ironing...our children have learned to iron at a young age.  We help them when needed, but typically Biscuit doesn't want/need help.  This was just a new shirt, so he didn't think it needed it, I suppose!

But the important part of this story isn't the not ironing. It's not the wearing of the shirt.  It was the way I handled the situation.  I should have waited and said something later - when we got home - instead of saying it right before worship.  It didn't matter.

What mattered was that we were there - ready to worship God and to remember the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross. THAT MATTERED!  And that's the only thing that mattered. I didn't need to scold Biscuit about his shirt right then, even if he should have listened.  I should have said "hello" to him. I should have just asked him about what he learned in Bible class.

Lesson learned: Do What Matters!  Oh, and ALWAYS say hello....even when your son is in a wrinkled shirt that he isn't supposed to be wearing.

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover